Maintains physical custody of inmates within the Sarasota County Jail including the processing and classifying of new inmates, administering first aid, feeding, clothing, inspection of cells, supervising trustees, transporting inmates to and from physicians and dentists for medical treatment, moving inmates to and from court as required, transporting inmates both intra and interstate at which time wearing of a firearm is required, act as Court Deputy in court during periods of unusual court activity, conduct lineups and interviews. Rotating shifts every 12 months. Deputies are occasionally required to wear air pack or respirator.
Experienced salary is based on agency policy and approved, documented related experience.
$41,752 Sponsored Recruit
$51,018 Upon Florida State Certification. Salary based on 12 hour shifts
$53,162 with 3-4 years of experience. Salary based on 12 hour shifts
$55,306 with 4-7 years of experience. Salary based on 12 hour shifts
$57,449 with 7+ years of experience. Salary based on 12 hour shifts
Additional $1,500 per year for midnight shift differential
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be Florida Corrections Certified or currently attending a Florida Corrections Academy.
- Must successfully complete the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test and achieve a score of 267 or higher in Verbal Skills and 241 or higher in Quantitative Skills (math).
- Must meet the minimum standards of the Agency approved PAT (Physical Abilities Test).
- Must successfully complete an oral review board and meet eligibility score.
- Must have a valid driver license.
- Must meet the Agency approved Drug and Tobacco Policy.
- Must submit to a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological evaluation and found to be of good moral character.
- Must submit to a complete physical examination mandated by FDLE requirements to include, but not limited to: drug, hearing, and vision screening and EKG testing.
- Applicants must never have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- Applicants with prior military service must have completed their military contract and received an Honorable Discharge (Form DD214 required).
For more information contact Jennifer “Lacy” Zahidi, Jennifer.Zahidi@sarasotasheriff.org, 941-861-4156.