Each year, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office offers an HR218 Pistol Qualification for retired law enforcement and corrections officers who meet the requirements under the HR218 Legislation. This qualification is limited to Sarasota County residents only and takes place at our gun range located at Knight Trail Park, 3445 Rustic Road, in Nokomis.
In an abundance of caution due to COVID-19, the sheriff’s office will host qualification for up to 90 people during six separate sessions on December 11. Each session will allow for no more than 15 registrants. To sign up, please click on one of the following links. If the session you select has been filled, please select another time to qualify.
REGISTRATION FOR THE UPCOMING DECEMBER 11, 2021 HR218 QUALIFICATION COURSE IS NOW CLOSED, AS ALL SESSIONS ARE FULL.
Session 1 – starts promptly at 8:00 a.m.
Session 2 – starts promptly at 8:30 a.m.
Session 3 – starts promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Session 4 – starts promptly at 9:30 a.m.
Session 5 – starts promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Session 6 – starts promptly at 10:30 a.m.
**PARTICIPANTS MUST PRESENT BOTH THEIR RETIRED ID AND CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE THE DAY OF THE SHOOT TO RECEIVE THEIR CARD.**
Please note the following instructions for all attendees attending qualification:
- Upon your arrival at the sheriff’s office gun range, training staff will direct you on where to park.
- Once parked, proceed directly to the front of the west range building for a safety check of your firearm by training staff. (Please ensure your firearm is unloaded)
- Once safety check is complete, you will be directed inside to the classroom to complete required paperwork. *****You need to show your drivers license and retired department ID card*****
- Once paperwork is complete, training staff will direct you out to the gun range for qualification. (Note: Please take all of your belongings outside with you as you will not be returning to the classroom)
- Upon completion of your qualification, you will be directed to the front of the building under the porch overhang to receive your certification card. The portable classroom has been removed to make way for future renovations. (Note:If you did not qualify and wish to retry, remain outside and you can join the next group on the line)
- Once you receive your certification card, please exit the portable classroom, and proceed to where you parked for departure.
- Please do not congregate on the property before or after your session.
**Note: all fields must be completed in order to register.