Deputies are available for private hire during their off-duty hours at the request of citizens, organizations and businesses. These deputies can assist the community by providing law enforcement services relating to crowd control, traffic control and security.
Deputies may be hired for the following:
- Civic celebrations
- Construction sites
- Job safety
- Private functions
- Social events
- Store sales events
*Sarasota County may require you have a permit for your event. Please check with Sarasota County Planning and Development Services to see if a permit is required.
CURRENT RATES AS OF MARCH 1, 2022
Public Service Aide (civilian) $35.00 per hr.
Deputy $41.00 per hr.
Specialty Unit + $10 per hr. (K-9, Hazardous Devices, Mounted Patrol, Marine)
Sergeant $49.00 per hr.
Lieutenant $58.00 per hr.
Marked Vehicle* + $10.00 per hr. (per vehicle)
Marine Unit (Boat)** + $50.00 per hr. (per vessel)
4 hour minimum – An employee can work less than 4 hours but must be paid for 4 hours
When five (5), but less than ten (10) deputies are required for a detail, one (1) sergeant shall be required. Additional sergeants shall be required for each squad of five (5) deputies thereafter. For details requiring (2-4) sergeants, (1) lieutenant shall be required. For details requiring (5) or more sergeants (2) lieutenants shall be required. For example;
5-9 deputies= 1 sergeant
10-14 deputies= 2 sergeant and 1 lieutenant
15-19 deputies= 3 sergeants and 1 lieutenant
20-24 deputies= 4 sergeant and 1 lieutenant
2-4 sergeants=1 lieutenant
5 or more sergeants= 2 lieutenants
*A marked unit is required for traffic-related details.
**When utilizing the sheriff's office Marine Unit, an additional $53 fee will be charged for cleaning/maintenance per event.
Based upon the size or type of event, the Sheriff’s Office may require additional deputies be hired to ensure the safety of deputies and civilians.
The procedure for hiring an off-duty deputy is as follows:
- Download the below contract or contact Special Detail Coordinator Anne Barrett at 941.861.4082 or email at email@example.com for a copy of the contract.
- Complete the contract and return it to the office of the Special Detail Coordinator. You may email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org **NOTE** Requests submitted less than seven days in advance may not be completed.
- Upon receipt of the contract, the Special Detail Coordinator will contact you to verify the information and obtain specific details.
- Each contract must be approved prior to final acceptance through the Special Operations Bureau Commander or his/her designee.
- Once the contract is accepted, the sheriff's office will provide the client with details regarding payment processing, which is offered through the RollKall platform.