NEWS RELEASE #: 16-208
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office would like to share the following tips and best practices to protect citizens and hopefully prevent cold weather-related crimes:
• Many residents will keep their windows open. An open window can be an open invitation for burglars. Be sure the windows you choose to open aren't right next to a door to minimize the chance someone could remove the screen to reach inside and open the door.
• Locking devices allow you to leave windows open enough for ventilation but block them from being opened any wider. These products can be purchased at home improvement stores. The cost is minimal but the benefits are tremendous.
• While track locks are strongly recommended, inexpensive wooden dowels can block horizontal sliding windows from opening too far.
• Pins inserted through the frame of vertical sliding windows and doors can also keep them in place.
• Auxiliary locks for sliding glass doors should be considered since standard locking mechanisms are frequently found to be inadequate.
• Should your home be outfitted with an alarm system, consider the addition of wired screens that enable you to protect those openings and detect intruders.
• Whenever you leave the house, close and lock all possible entry points.
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office hopes you keep these handy tips in mind when the temperature starts to drop!