Answer emergency and non-emergency telephones. Operators must listen accurately and record the information provided by citizens, police, fire and medical personnel and be able to accurately relay this information to the appropriate person often called upon to make decisions quickly, accurately and effectively. Must be self-motivated and work well as a part of a team. To be successful you must be able to perform multiple tasks, at times under stressful conditions. As a condition of continued employment the 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator Training Program must be completed and the Florida Certification exam must be passed within 11 ½ months of appointment to the position.
STARTING SALARYOperator 3 - Call Taker: Pay Grade 10 $31,836 (up to $37,762 with acceptable prior experience.) Operator 2 - Call Taker/Law or Fire Radio: Pay Grade 12, $34,755. Operator 1 - Call Taker and Both Law and Fire Radio: Pay Grade 14, $38,734
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must pass Oral Board interview.
- Must submit to a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological evaluation and found to be of good moral character.
- Must adhere to Sarasota Sheriff’s Office Drug Free and Tobacco Free policy.
Shift Work – 24 hours per day/7 days per week, including weekends and holidays. Work assignments also during hurricane, evacuation or other states of emergency. 12hour shifts assigned to either Day Shift (0700-1900) or Night shift (1900-0700). Bid for Shift assignments is once a year, based on seniority.
Operator 3 (Call Taker) training will begin with a 6 week Academy (classroom style) to include 1 week of EMD/EFD certification training and 11 weeks of field training.
During the first year of employment Operators will receive certifications in the following, along with 15 weeks of Call Taker training:
- 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecomunicator Florida Certification
- Emergency Medical Dispatch Certification (EMD)
- Emergency Fire Dispatch Certification (EFD)
- CPR Certification