Deputies ensure that the laws of Sarasota County and the State of Florida are administered. They are responsible for patrolling designated zones of the county to prevent crime and preserve law and order. Deputies conduct preliminary investigations, gather evidence, complete reports, identify and locate witnesses, make arrests and testify in court.
STARTING SALARY$35,000 Recruit / $43,264 1st class upon Florida State Certification
(Salary adjusted up to $50,805 for approved/accepted prior experience. Additional $1200 per year midnight shift differential.)
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be Florida Law Enforcement Certified or currently attending a Florida Law Enforcement Academy and meet one of the following four requirements:
- An Associate’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university or;
- Prior military service with military contract completed and Honorable Discharge received (Form DD214 required) or;
- Three (3) years prior full time Law Enforcement experience. Experience must have occurred within three years of application or;
- Three (3) years experience as a Corrections Deputy with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office.
- Must meet the minimum standards of the Agency approved PAT (Physical Abilities Test).
- Applicants who do not possess an Associate’s Degree or equivalent must successfully complete the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test and achieve a score of 267 or higher in Verbal Skills and 241 or higher in Quantitative Skills (math).
- Must successfully complete an oral review board and meet eligibility score.
- Must have a valid drivers’ license.
- Must meet Agency approved Drug and Tobacco Policy.
- Must submit to a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological evaluation and found to be of good moral character.
- Must submit to a complete physical examination mandated by FDLE requirements to include but not limited to: drug, hearing and vision screening and EKG testing.
- Applicants must never have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- Applicants with prior military service must have completed their military contract and received an Honorable Discharge (Form DD214 required).
For more information contact Jennifer Mitchell, Jennifer.Mitchell@sarasotasheriff.org, 861-4156.