Maintains physical custody of inmates within the Sarasota County Jail including the processing and classifying of new inmates, administering first aid, feeding, clothing, inspection of cells, supervising trustees, transporting inmates to and from physicians and dentists for medical treatment, moving inmates to and from court as required, transporting inmates both intra and interstate at which time wearing of a firearm is required, act as Court Deputy in court during periods of unusual court activity, conduct lineups and interviews. Rotating shifts every 12 months. Deputies are occasionally required to wear air pack or respirator.
STARTING SALARY$34,000 Recruit/$40,000 Upon Florida State Certification (Salary adjusted up to $46,826 for approved/accepted prior experience. Additional $1,200 per year for midnight shift differential
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must successfully complete the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) with at least a 12.0 on each of the three subjects. (Exempt for those with an Associates Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university).
- Must meet the minimum standards of the Agency approved PAT (Physical Abilities Test).
- Must successfully complete an oral review board and meet eligibility score.
- Must have a valid driver license.
- Must meet the Agency approved Drug and Tobacco Policy.
- Must submit to a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological evaluation and found to be of good moral character.
- Must submit to a complete physical examination mandated by FDLE requirements to include, but not limited to: drug, hearing, and vision screening and EKG testing.
- Applicants must never have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- Applicants with prior military service must have completed their military contract and received an Honorable Discharge (Form DD214 required).
For additional information call 941.861.4157.