NEWS RELEASE 19-177 - OCTOBER 30, 2019
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office wants all children to enjoy Halloween this week, so please read through these reminders to help keep trick-or-treaters safe.
- Try to trick-or-treat in groups.
- Never allow small children to visit a door without a trusted adult.
- Teach children not to approach vehicles.
- Parents should always accompany trick-or-treaters, no matter how old the children are.
- Only approach well-lit homes where porch or exterior lights are ON.
- Cross streets at the corner, never between parked cars or diagonally across an intersection.
- Avoid shortcuts through back yards, alleys or parks.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats, and never eat anything homemade from strangers.
- Examine all candy for choking hazards and tampering.
- Be cautious around pets and other animals.
- Keep costumes short to prevent tripping or falling.
- Wear light-colored costumes or add reflective tape to dark clothing.
- Have children carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen.
- Report any and all suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
Citizens should keep doors locked, even if you are just "out front" handing out candy, to prevent burglars from taking advantage of the holiday.
All motorists should use extreme caution and drive slowly through residential neighborhoods as children may be distracted by the festivities.
Another way to ensure the safety of trick-or-treaters is to attend public, organized events. Instead of visiting unfamiliar neighborhoods, consider Halloween festivities at malls, churches or events sponsored by local businesses.