********** ASK US ABOUT OUR $2,000 HIRING BONUS **********
Answer emergency and non-emergency telephones. Operators must listen accurately and record the information provided by citizens, police, fire, and medical personnel and be able to accurately relay this information to the appropriate person often called upon to make decisions quickly, accurately, and effectively. Must be self-motivated and work well as a part of a team. To be successful you must be able to perform multiple tasks, at times under stressful conditions. As a condition of continued employment, the 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator Training Program must be completed, and the Florida Certification exam must be passed within 11 1/2 months of appointment to the position.
Operator 3 – Call Taker: $40,934 (up to $49,734 with acceptable prior related experience). Starting salary is based on $17.89 per hour/12-hour shifts/2184 hours worked annually. Additional $1500 per year for night shift differential.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. An applicant who does not possess at least sixty (60) college credits from an accredited institution must successfully complete the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must pass Oral Board interview.
- Must submit to a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological evaluation and found to be of good moral character.
- Must adhere to Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office Drug Free and Tobacco Free policy.
Shift Work – 24 hours per day/7 days per week, including weekends and holidays. Work assignments also during hurricane, evacuation, or other states of emergency. 12hour shifts assigned to either Day Shift (0700-1900) or Night shift (1900-0700).
Operator 3 (Call Taker) training will begin with a 6-week Academy (classroom style) to include 1 week of EMD/EFD certification training and 16 weeks of field training. Please note: 8-hour shifts/40-hour work week during 6-week academy. Salary is $17.89 per hour/$37,213 annually based on 8-hour shifts.
During the first year of employment Operators will receive certifications in the following:
- 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator Florida Certification
- Emergency Medical Dispatch Certification (EMD)
- Emergency Fire Dispatch Certification (EFD)
- CPR Certification
- FCIC/NCIC Certification