Education is the first and the biggest step in crime prevention.... people who are made aware of fraudulent schemes and the techniques used to defraud are less likely to become victims.
The Sarasota County S.A.L.T. Council is part of a National Triad composed of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), the National Sheriffs Association (NSA), and the International Association of Chiefs of Police, who joined together in a cooperative effort to improve the quality of life of senior citizens.
S.A.L.T. works as an advisory group to the Sarasota County Triad – a signed commitment between the Sheriff, the Chiefs of Police and Seniors to develop, expand and implement effective crime prevention and educational programs. By doing so, we strive to make Sarasota County a safer and more secure place for all.
The Sarasota County S.A.L.T. Council sponsors and recommends:
- Crime prevention seminars
- Displays at senior centers, malls, fairs and public gatherings
- Home security information, inspections and identification of personal belongings
- Dissemination of information about current frauds and scams
- How to respond to telemarketing and door-to-door sales people
- Training for law enforcement in communication with and assisting older people
- Recommending ways to reduce Medicare fraud
- Prevention, recognition and reporting of elderly abuse
- “File of Life” its (personal medical information) to assist EMS
- Telephone reassurance for shut-ins
- Court watch activities
Sarasota County has a high quality of life that the S.A.L.T. Council wants to maintain through vigorous crime prevention programs. For more information about becoming involved with the Sarasota S.A.L.T. Council, contact Crime Prevention, 941.861.4084, or write:
Crime Prevention Office
Attn.: SALT Council
2071 Ringling Blvd.
Sarasota, FL 34237