The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office wants all children to enjoy Halloween festivities this week, so please read through these reminders to help keep trick-or-treaters safe.
- Adults should always accompany children who are trick-or-treating.
- Try to trick-or-treat in groups.
- Only go to homes where porch or exterior lights are ON.
- Do not go inside anyone's home.
- Be careful when crossing streets and do not cross between parked cars.
- Use sidewalks when available.
- Do not take shortcuts through back yards, alleys or parks.
- Do not eat any treat until a parent or guardian has inspected it.
- Be cautious around pets and other animals.
- Keep costumes short to prevent tripping/falling.
- Wear light-colored costumes or add reflective tape to dark clothing.
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights and attempt to stay in well-lit areas.
- Report any and all suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
Citizens should keep doors locked, even if you are just "out front" handing out candy, to prevent burglars from taking advantage of the holiday.
All motorists should use extreme caution and drive slowly to avoid accidents with children who might be distracted by the festivities.
Another way to ensure the safety of trick-or-treaters is to attend public, organized events. Instead of visiting unfamiliar neighborhoods consider Halloween festivities at churches, malls or events sponsored by local business associations.