The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office cited eight local store clerks for selling alcohol to a minor during a recent undercover operation by the Juvenile Alcohol Task Force (JATF) in partnership with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation – Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.
Personnel visited 40 stores throughout Sarasota County between May 31 and June 1. The following businesses were found to be in violation of selling alcohol to a person under 21. Clerks at all eight locations were given a misdemeanor Notice to Appear citation.
- Shell, 5808 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
- Speedway, 1241 N. Tamiami Trail, Nokomis
- Wawa, 2344 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
- Mobil/7 Eleven, 1242 Jacaranda Boulevard, Venice
- 7-Eleven, 3156 Clark Road, Sarasota
- Discount Liquor & Spirit, 2240 N. Tamiami Trail, Nokomis
- Shell, 2800 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
- Marathon, 2791 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
The remaining 32 stores in Sarasota, Venice, Osprey, and Nokomis were in compliance and will receive a letter to commend owners and employees for helping reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Summer break is a common time of year for underage students to purchase and consume alcoholic beverages. By facilitating these operations, establishments are reminded of compliance with the law which reduces the chance of illegally selling to a person underage.